I have done several posts in the past on TRUST. They covered ENRON, Northern TRUST, global connections, Gov. Gray Davis of California as well as Joseph W. Sutton (ENRON) and all the players involved in the scandal. We will go through these again here and will also add additional information.
We will add in other connections from other posts too. Francis Xavier Sutton and the Ford Foundation, Baker McKenzie, Baker Botts, Whitney family, Whitney Oil and connections, Frank N. Newman, (Enron again ?) Frank’s connections to Shenzhen Development Bank, Bankers TRUST, Percy Sutton, Malcolm X, Black Eagle TRUST, Ian and Crispin Davis, etc… the list goes on.
Sir Crispin Henry Lamert Davis, OBE (born 19 March 1949, England), is the Chairman and Director of StarBev Netherlands BV. He was previously chairman of the board and the chief executive officer of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, and he is a non-executive director of GlaxoSmithKline PLC. Sir Crispin has also served as the chief executive officer of Aegis Group PLC from 1994 until 1999. He was a board member at Guinness PLC, and the group managing director of United Distillers from 1990 to 1993. For twenty years, he served at Procter and Gamble, in senior positions in the United Kingdom, Germany, and North America.
Davis earned a bachelor’s degree from Oriel College at Oxford University. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 2004 for services to the information industry. Davis and his wife, Anne, have three daughters.
Ian Edward Lamert Davis (born 10 March 1951) was a longtime top senior partner and director at management consultancy McKinsey & Company, serving as managing director (chief executive) from 2003 to 2009. He succeeded Rajat Gupta on 1 July 2003. He joined McKinsey in 1979, retired in 2010 and currently serves as a senior partner emeritus.
Davis was born in Kent, UK. Prior to becoming managing director, he was office manager of McKinsey’s London and UK office. He has an undergraduate degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Balliol College, Oxford University. He is a member of the board of BP.
Davis is a Non-Executive Director at Johnson & Johnson Inc, BP plc, Teach For All Inc, Big Society Trust and Majid Al Futtaim Holdings LLC. He is a Senior Adviser to Apax Partners LLP, a Non-Executive Board Member at the UK Cabinet Office and an Advisory Director of King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Centre.
Ruth (Baker) Ndesandjo
- Born Ruth Beatrice Baker was born in the United States around 1937, the daughter of Maurice Joseph Baker and Ida Baker of Newton, Massachusetts, who are of Lithuanian Jewish descent. Ruth was a 1954 graduate of Brookline High School in Brookline, Massachusetts, and a 1958 graduate of Simmons College in Boston with a degree in business. She was a suburban elementary school teacher when she met and began dating Barack, Sr., in Cambridge in June 1964, a month before his return to Kenya in August 1964. She followed Obama, Sr., back to Kenya five weeks later, and married him in Kenya in a civil ceremony on December 24, 1964. She later became a private kindergarten director in Kenya. She had two sons with Barack Obama, Sr.: Mark and David. Since she remarried when they were young, they took their stepfather’s surname, Ndesandjo, as their own. Her third son, Joseph Ndesandjo, was born c. 1980 in her second marriage.
From here again:
We go here:
The Martha White brand was established as the premium brand of Nashville, Tennessee-based Royal Flour Mills in 1899. At that time, Nashville businessman Richard Lindsey introduced a fine flour that he named for his daughter, Martha White Lindsey.
The Martha White brand is probably most associated with its long-term sponsorship of the country music radio program, the Grand Ole Opry. The relationship began in 1948 and has existed continuously since then, making it one of the longest continually running radio show sponsorships known.
A jingle for the flour, written by Nashville songwriter Pat Twitty in 1953, was first performed from the stage of the Grand Ole Opry by bluegrass music artists Flatt and Scruggs. It is still in use today, having become a bluegrass standard and a signature number of Rhonda Vincent & the Rage.
Packaging for Martha White ingredients (flour, cornmeal) feature the likeness of three-year-old Martha White. The commercials for the products stress the fact that they are “self-rising” due to the presence of the trademarked leavening “Hot-Rize” or “Hot-Rize Plus”. Martha White has expanded its product offering beyond ingredients to include baking mixes.
Martha White merged with Beatrice Foods in 1975. In 1986, Beatrice, newly acquired by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, spun off its specialty foods and non-food brands as E-II Holdings. E-II attempted to take over American Brands in 1988, but instead American Brands purchased E-II. Martha White was sold off in 1989.
Martha White was purchased by the Pillsbury Company in 1994; the baking products of Pillsbury were spun off in 2001 under the name International Multifoods. The J.M. Smucker Co. acquired International Multifoods in 2005.
Beatrice Foods Company was a major American food processing company. In 1987, its smaller international food operations were sold to Reginald Lewis, a corporate attorney creating TLC Beatrice International, after which the majority of its domestic (U.S.) brands and assets were acquired by Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts (KKR), with the bulk of its holdings sold off. By the early 1990s, the remaining operations were ultimately acquired by ConAgra Foods.
The Beatrice Creamery Company was founded in 1894 by George Everett Haskell and William W. Bosworth, by leasing the factory of a bankrupt firm of the same name located in Beatrice, Nebraska. At the time, they purchased butter, milk and eggs from local farmers and graded them for resale. They promptly began separating the butter themselves at their plant, making their own butter on site and packaging and distributing it under their own label. They devised special protective packages and distributed them to grocery stores and restaurants in their own wagons and through appointed jobbers. To overcome the shortage of cream, the partners established skimming stations to which farmers delivered their milk to have the cream, used to make butter, separated from the milk. This led to the introduction of their unique credit program of providing farmers with hand cream separators so that they could separate the milk on the farm and retain the skim milk for animal feeding. This enabled farmers to pay for the separators from the proceeds of their sales of cream. The program worked so well that the company sold more than 50,000 separators in Nebraska from 1895 to 1905. On March 1, 1905, the company was incorporated as the Beatrice Creamery Company of Iowa, with capital of $3,000,000. By the start of the 20th century, they were shipping dairy products across the United States, and by 1910, they operated nine creameries and three ice cream plants across the Great Plains.
The company moved to Chicago in 1913, at the time the center of the American food processing industry. By the 1930s, it was a major dairy company, producing some 30 million US gallons (110,000 m3) of milk and 10 million US gallons (38,000 m3) of ice cream annually. In 1939, Beatrice Creamery Company purchased Blue Valley Creamery Company, the other Chicago-based dairy centralizer. This acquisition added at least 11 creameries from New York to South Dakota. Beatrice’s Meadow Gold brand was a household name in much of America by the beginning of World War II. In 1946, it changed its name to Beatrice Foods and doubled its sales between 1945 and 1955 as the post-war baby boom created vastly greater demand for milk products.
From the late 1950s until the early 1970s, the company expanded into Canada and purchased a number of other food firms, leveraging its distribution network to profit from a more diverse array of food and consumer products. It came to be the owner of brands like Avis Rent A Car, Playtex, Shedd’s, Tropicana, John Sexton & Co, Good & Plenty and many others. Annual sales in 1984 were roughly $12 billion. It was during both the Winter and Summer Olympics this year that the corporation flooded the TV airwaves with advertisements letting the public know that many brands they were familiar with were actually part of Beatrice Foods. These ads used the tagline (with a jingle) “We’re Beatrice. You’ve known us all along.” After the Olympics, advertisements for its products continued to end with the catchphrase “We’re Beatrice” and an instrumental version of the “You’ve known us all along” portion of the jingle, as the red and white “Beatrice” logo would simultaneously appear in the bottom right hand corner. However, it was soon determined that the campaign alienated consumers, calling attention to the fact that many of their favorite brands were in fact part of a far-reaching multinational corporation, and the campaign was pulled off the air by autumn.
In 1968, Sexton Foods was approached by Beatrice with an offer to purchase the John Sexton & Co. Beatrice was attracted to Sexton Quality Foods’ distribution network, quality, variety of private label products, specialized food offerings, sales force and profitability. Mack Sexton’s initial response was no, but Beatrice Foods was very interested. Eventually both parties reached an agreement. Beatrice Foods increased the purchase, pledged capital to expand Sexton Quality Foods distribution network, pledged capital to introduce a new Sexton frozen product line and pledged that the Sexton leadership would continue to lead and operate the company as a separate entity. On December 20, 1968, Beatrice acquired the business and assets of John Sexton & Co., exchanging approximately 375,000 shares of Beatrice’s preferred convertible preference stock valued at $37,500,000. John Sexton & Co. would become a separate independent division of Beatrice Foods, but still led by Mack Sexton (son of Franklin), William Egan (son of Helen) and William Sexton (son of Sherman). Mack became a vice president of Beatrice and a Beatrice board member. John Sexton & Co. put Beatrice Foods into the wholesale grocery business and Beatrice put John Sexton & Co. into the frozen foods business. Beatrice’s and the Sexton’s leadership were interested in maximizing the investment in John Sexton & Co. by growing the company.
Through the 1980s, Beatrice was a co-defendant alongside W. R. Grace and Company in a lawsuit alleging that the Riley Tannery, a division of Beatrice Foods, had dumped toxic waste which contaminated an underground aquifer that supplied drinking water to East Woburn, Massachusetts. The case became the subject of the popular book and film A Civil Action. A Federal judge ruled that Beatrice was not responsible for the contamination, although according to the book and film, the EPA later found both companies responsible.
John Sexton was born June 29, 1859 in Dundas, Ontario to Michael and Ellen (O’Connor) Sexton from County Clare, Ireland. John Sexton worked in a general store in Niagara, Ontario 1874–1877. He immigrated to Chicago in 1877 at 18 and began working for various wholesale grocers in Chicago as a clerk and city salesman. During this time, he realized that there was an opportunity to specialize in selling quality teas, coffees and spices.
John Sexton married Annie Louise Bartleman (born Chicago 1866) on August 11, 1886. The Bartleman’s immigrated from Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Germany in the mid-1850s. The couple had five children, Thomas G. (born 1890), Franklin (born 2/16/1891), Sherman J. (born 9/12/1892), Helen (Egan) (b.?) and Ethel (Marten) (born 1896) the family home was 2263 North Dayton Street in Chicago. All three sons and both sons in laws worked for the company in various roles.
John Sexton & Co Established
In 1883, at the age of 25, John Sexton invested his entire life savings of $400 and formed a corporation with George A. Hitchcock named Hitchcock & Sexton Company which opened a small office at 5 Wabash in downtown Chicago. Within a year, Hitchcock & Sexton moved to 20 State Street (Street & Lake) which was owned by John DeKoven.
As business increased, Hitchcock & Sexton opened 3 more retail stores in the Chicago area including one in Joliet. This made Hitchcock & Sexton one of the first retail coffee and tea chain proprietors in the United States. In 1886, Hitchcock sold Sexton his interest in the business and renamed the company John Sexton & Co. To help run the business, John Sexton recruited his sisters Mary (Barton), Sarah (O’Leary), Beatrice (Mulligan), his brother James Sexton and cousins, Dan E. and Frank W. Upton to move to Chicago from Dundas, Ontario. Each sister ran one of his retail stores and lived above it with their families. In addition to family, John Sexton relied on recruiting high quality employees by offering attractive wages, sales commissions and fair dealing.
As word spread of Sexton’s quality products, fair dealings and unconditional guarantee, restaurant and hotel customers came to the Sexton retail stores to buy spices, tea and coffee. Sexton also added dried and canned goods to his stores. In addition, John Sexton began to call on the Chicago restaurants and hotels directly. In addition, he hired salesmen and delivery drivers to service on the wholesale accounts. He also purchased horses and wagons to make deliveries. By 1888, Sexton decided to close his four retail stores and focus solely on his Chicago wholesale customers. Sexton expanded the 20 State Street (201 N. State Street on the corner of State & Lake Streets) store by renting the rest of the building.
Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale (October 5, 1895 – February 5, 1977) was an American socialite and amateur singer, known for her eccentric lifestyle. She was a sister of John “Black Jack” Bouvier, the father of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. Her life and relationship with her daughter Edith Bouvier Beale were highlighted in the 1975 documentary Grey Gardens.
She was the daughter of John Vernou Bouvier, Jr. and Maude Sergeant Bouvier (the paternal grandparents of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis). Beale’s mother was the daughter of a wealthy paper manufacturer, and her father was a successful attorney who was appointed Major in the Judge Advocate Corps for the United States Army during World War I. He liked to be addressed as Major Bouvier and later invented a faux royal mythos of his Bouvier lineage in the privately printed Our Forebears, which gave his grandchildren the following quote: “The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility.”
Beale enjoyed a privileged upbringing along with her brothers John Vernou Bouvier III, William Sergeant “Bud” Bouvier (1893–1929), who died at a young age from alcoholism, and her red-headed twin sisters Maude Bouvier Davis (1905-1999), mother of writer John H. Davis, and Michelle Bouvier Scott Putman (1905-1987). Beale enjoyed photography, theatrical arts, and as a youth considered becoming a surgeon from her interest in physiology.
|Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale|
|Born||Edith Ewing Bouvier
(1895-10-05)October 5, 1895
Nutley, New Jersey
|Died||February 5, 1977(1977-02-05) (aged 81)
Southampton, New York
|Other names||Big Edie|
|Spouse(s)||Phelan Beale (1917–1931)|
|Children||Edith Bouvier Beale
Phelan Beale, Jr.
|Parents||John Vernou Bouvier II
Maude Sergeant Bouvier
|Relatives||aunt of Jacqueline Kennedy and Lee Radziwill|
Niʻihau or Niihau (pron.: /ˈniːhaʊ/; Hawaiian: [ˈniʔiˈhɔu]) is the seventh largest of the inhabited Hawaiian Islands in the U.S. state of Hawaiʻi, having an area of 69.5 square miles (180 km2) Niʻihau lies 17.5 miles (15.2 nmi; 28.2 km) southwest of Kauaʻi across the Kaulakahi Channel. Several intermittent playa lakes provide wetland habitats for the Hawaiian Coot, the Black-winged Stilt, and the Hawaiian Duck. The island is designated as critical habitat for Brighamia insignis, an endemic and endangered species of Hawaiian lobelioid. The United States Census Bureau defines Niʻihau and the neighboring island and State Seabird Sanctuary of Lehua as Census Tract 410 of Kauai County, Hawaii. Its 2000 census population was 160; As of June 2009, the population was 130.
Elizabeth Sinclair purchased Niʻihau in 1864 from the Kingdom of Hawaii and private ownership passed on to her descendants, the Robinson family. During World War II, the island was the site of the Niʻihau Incident: A Japanese navy fighter pilot crashed on the island and terrorized its residents for a week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The people of Niʻihau are known for their gemlike lei pūpū (shell lei) craftsmanship, and speak Hawaiʻian as a primary language. The island is generally off-limits to all but relatives of the island’s owners, U.S. Navy personnel, government officials and invited guests, giving it the nickname “The Forbidden Isle.” Beginning in 1987, a limited number of supervised activity tours and hunting safaris have opened to tourists. The island is currently managed by Bruce and Keith Robinson.
The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 started at 137 DeKoven Street, now numbered 558 West DeKoven, in a barn belonging to Patrick and Catherine O’Leary. Although the popular story is that a cow kicked over a lantern to start the fire, Michael Ahern, the Chicago Republican reporter who created the cow story, admitted in 1893 that he had made it up because he thought it would make colorful copy. At the time, the street was in a less prosperous neighborhood of Chicago. The site of the barn now houses the Chicago Fire Department training school near the intersection of Roosevelt Road and Canal Street, just southwest of the Loop.
Hill decided to become an architect early on in his life, but not until he visited Taliesin did he become passionate about the design style of Frank Lloyd Wright. Hill skipped his high school graduation ceremony to enroll in the Taliesin Fellowship program on June 17, 1938. Because Hill was so young even among the apprentices, Wright often introduced him not by his name but by “This is Johnny. His father left him on my doorstep in a basket. With only a high school education, Hill started very green as an apprentice but went on to become Wright’s chief architect and right hand man. Hill had a keen sense of balance and an eye for design, and took responsibility for the designs and furnishings of all the interiors of the buildings Wright designed.
Hill and Wright designed a number of buildings together where Hill acted as chief architect. Notably, Hill was the chief architect and designer for the echt-Wrightian J. Ralph and Patricia Corbett House on 2501 Grandin Road in Cincinnati, Ohio. The house was designated the House Beautiful Magazine’s 1960 Pace Setter and is considered the culmination of Wright and Hill’s collaborative designs. Many features first seen in Fallingwater and Taliesin were incorporated into the house. According to the Cincinnati MLS, this property was listed for sale on December 16, 2009 for $1,995,000. It went pending in 3 days and posted as closed in MLS on February 5, 2010 for $1,800,000. It was the first time the home had been offered for sale since it was built. At the time of sale, the home was in need of extensive repairs and improvements. The basic structure is built of concrete and steel.
From 1953 to 1963 Hill served as the architecture editor for House Beautiful magazine and in 1964 became its editorial director. In this function, Hill helped promote the cause of Modern architecture and particularly Wright’s “Organic” approach. He went on to become treasurer of the Taliesin Fellowship and honorary chairman of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
Known as Bunny, she is the eldest child of Gerard Barnes Lambert, Sr., a president of Gillette Safety Razor Co. and a founder of Warner-Lambert (Warner-Lambert is now part of Pfizer, following a 2000 merger).One of her grandfathers, chemist Jordan Lambert, invented Listerine, although it was her father who commercialized it.Her mother was the former Rachel Lowe. She had two siblings: Gerard Barnes Lambert, Jr. (1912–1947; married Elsa Conover, former wife of Angus D. Mackintosh); and Lily Cary Lambert (1914–2006; married William Wilson Fleming and John Gilman McCarthy).
Mellon’s parents divorced in 1933, and in 1934, her mother re-married her former brother-in-law, Dr. Malvern Bryan Clopton, the widower of Gerard Lambert, Sr.’s sister, Lily Lambert Walker. In 1936, Gerard Lambert, Sr. also was re-married, to Grace Cleveland Lansing Mull, the former wife of John B. Mull and a daughter of Henry Livingston Lansing.
Forbes Magazine has been unable to put any sort of definitive number on Mellon’s net worth since much of her fortune is tied up in trusts, but it is apparent that she is both extraordinarily wealthy and very private. In 2011, it was revealed that she had lost US$5.75M to investment adviser and convicted Ponzi scheme operator Ken Starr. Her attorney, Alex Forger, said: “She’s well off, but assets are not liquid.” She maintains homes in Antigua, Nantucket, and Oyster Harbors on Cape Cod, but two apartments in Paris and a townhouse in New York City were recently sold. Her main residence, Oak Spring Farms, a 4,000-acre (1,600 ha) estate in Virginia, has its own 1-mile (1,600 m) long airstrip for her Falcon 2000. She amassed an extraordinary collection of works by artist Mark Rothko, having purchased many of his 1950s works directly from his New York studio. One of the works, Yellow Expanse, is considered one of the greatest works that remains in private hands.
Mellon has long been known for her maximum discretion and minimum exposure. In a rare 1969 New York Times article, she proclaimed that “nothing should be noticed”.
Rachel Lowe Lambert married Stacy Barcroft Lloyd, Jr. in Philadelphia in 1932. Lloyd served in the Office of Strategic Services during World War II. They divorced in 1948. They had two children:
- Stacy Barcroft Lloyd, III
- Eliza Winn Lloyd (died May 7, 2008; married and divorced Viscount Moore) In May 2000, Eliza was hit by a truck while crossing a Manhattan street and suffered a severe brain injury. She became quadriplegic and unable to speak. She spent the remaining eight years of her life under round-the-clock care at Oak Spring Farms.
Mellon was a longtime friend of John and Jacqueline Kennedy, advising Mrs. Kennedy first on fine arts and antiques during the Kennedy White House restoration and then contributing to the design of the grounds of the President’s house. In 1961, on Mrs. Kennedy’s request, Mellon redesigned the White House Rose Garden creating a more open space for public ceremony and introducing American species of plants including Magnolia × soulangeana. She next began to work on the White House’s East Garden, but was unable to complete it before the assassination of President Kennedy. First Lady Lady Bird Johnson asked Mellon to complete work on the East Garden and in 1965 it was dedicated as the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden.
Her daughter Eliza was hit by a car and became a quadriplegic not long after the death of her husband, Paul, in 1999. Eliza died in 2008. Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of friend Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, sat beside her during her daughter’s funeral.
Mellon expressed interest in the John Edwards campaign as early as 2004, because he reminded her of President Kennedy, but when she called his campaign office with an offer to help, no one recognized her name and she wasn’t called back. That changed when Edwards sought the 2008 Democratic Presidential nomination. In August 2008, Edwards’s campaign finance chairman Fred Baron told NBC News that he had been providing financial assistance to both Rielle Hunter and Andrew Young without Edwards’s knowledge. He further stated that no campaign funds were used. Mellon allegedly gave more than $725,000 to John Edwards over an eight-month period (through decorator Bryan Huffman) beginning in May 2007. The check falsely referred to as “chairs”, “antique Charleston table” and “bookcase.” During this period Mellon wrote a note to Young saying: “I was sitting alone in a grim mood — furious that the press attacked Senator Edwards on the price of a haircut. But it inspired me — from now on, all haircuts, etc. that are necessary and important for his campaign — please send the bills to me… It is a way to help our friend without government restrictions.” The funds were believed to be used to secretly support Hunter, with whom Edwards had an extra-marital affair and child. The FBI interviewed Mellon at her estate in Upperville, Virginia, on two occasions in 2010. Then in early December of that same year, her son, Stacy Lloyd, III, grandsons, Stacy Lloyd, IV and Thomas Lloyd, along with grandson Thomas Lloyd’s wife, Ricki Lloyd, appeared before a grand jury in Raleigh, North Carolina. On June 3, 2011, Edwards was indicted on using campaign funds to help cover-up an affair and pregnancy during the 2008 presidential campaign. Mellon was widely believed to be ‘Person C’ described in the indictment. Just one week prior to his indictment in late May 2011, Edwards visited Mellon at her Upperville estate. Following his indictment, the judge forbade Edwards to speak with any potential witnesses. People close to Mellon said that the money was a personal gift and that she had no idea how Mr. Edwards used it.
Lambert and Lloyd became close friends of banking heir and art collector Paul Mellon and his first wife, Mary Conover, who died of an asthma attack in 1946. After she divorced Lloyd, Paul and Bunny were married on May 1, 1948. By this marriage, she had two stepchildren, Timothy Mellon and Catherine Conover Mellon (later Mrs. John Warner and now known as Catherine Conover). Together the couple collected and donated more than 1,000 works of art, mostly eighteenth- and nineteenth-century European paintings, to the National Gallery of Art. The couple also bred and raced thoroughbred horses, including a winner of the Kentucky Derby.
GILLette, Gill, Roche (Lady Diana’s grandmother):
Diana’s mother (wallpaper):